Men and women should not be afraid to take control of their sexual health and safety. Thus, being prepared when having sex is a good and wise decision.
To practice safer sex, one must use an effective form of protection. With that, condoms and dams are known to be the only method of birth control that gives a reliable protection against pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections (STIs). Unfortunately, some people never heard of them before, especially the dams.
To give you a quick overview, here is a beginner’s guide to condoms and dams. Read on here.
Understanding condoms and dams
Condoms are thin, soft sheaths usually open on one end and closed on the other. Condoms are used by men. It acts as an effective barrier during sexual intercourse by keeping the semen from entering the vagina. Using a condom reduces the possibility of pregnancy or getting STIs.
On the other hand, dams are actually used for dental purposes. In dentistry, it separates the operative area from the rest of the mouth. But in sex, it is a thin piece of latex that protects the mouth during oral sex. They are typically used by women. Like condoms, dams are also used for birth control and STD protection.
Do’s and Don’ts in using a condom and dam
Here is a list of the do’s and don’ts in using condoms and dams.
- Always read the packaging and check the condom’s expiration date before using the product.
- Make sure that the condom and dam have no defects or tears.
- Store the condoms and dams in a cool and dry place.
- It is better to use a latex or polyurethane condom and dam.
- Use a water-based lubricant for your condoms and dams to prevent breakage.
- To ensure its effectiveness, use the condom and dam before starting oral sex and wear it until finished.
- Don’t store the condom inside your wallet. This is because heat and friction can damage these items.
- Dams are very delicate to touch. Don’t stretch a dam since it can tear easily.
- Don’t reuse a condom or dam. They are designed for one-time use only.
- Avoid using nonoxynol-9. This ingredient contains spermicide that can cause irritation.
- Don’t use oil-based products such as petroleum jelly, baby oil, lotion or cooking oil as a lubricant. Doing so can cause the condom and dam to break.
How to use
Condoms and dams are very easy to use. Here is a simple step-by-step guide in using these items.
- Carefully open the packet of condom. Make sure that you don’t tear the condom with your fingernails.
- Place the condom on the tip of your penis. The penis should already erect.
- Then pinch out the air on the condom.
- Unroll the condom from the tip all the way to the base of the penis.
- After sex, you can remove it by holding the condom at the base. Then gently pull it out while holding the condom in place.
- Once it is removed, dispose it properly.
- Carefully open the packet of dental dam.
- Place the dam flat to cover the vaginal opening or the anus.
- Do not stretch the dam or press it tightly against your skin. Just let it stick naturally to your body through moisture.
- Then let your partner have oral sex.
- Once done, throw away the used dam in the trash. Make sure not to flash them in the toilet since it will clog.
Tips in choosing a condom and dam
Always choose a condom and dam that is made of latex. This is because they are more durable than other types of condom material. However, if you are allergic to latex, polyurethane condom is a good option.
- Get a new one if the condom or dam has tears or holes.
- Always use a fresh and newly opened condom and dam. Don’t use if they are expired, exposed to hot temperature or washed in the washer.
- Inspect the condom and dam for any signs of stickiness, brittleness and discolouration.
One of the best ways to prevent pregnancy and lower the risk of getting STIs is to use an effective barrier correctly each time you have sexual encounter. With that, condoms and dams are the most common form of protection. For novices, this beginner’s guide is a good starter for those who want to keep their erotic encounter safe and healthy.
If you want to purchase a condom or dam for your next sexual routine, just look for a reliable online sex toy shop. They can supply all sorts of condoms and dams according to your sexual needs. Aside from that, they can also provide a wide range of sex toys, lubricants and accessories.